Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How can I claim my expenses towards helping a parent pay there rent?

I am told that because I pay my moms rent (she lives in tijuana) I can claim that on my taxes. Can I really do that and if i did would i get a bigger return?? Pls help thxHow can I claim my expenses towards helping a parent pay there rent?
If you are paying more than 50% of her total living expenses, you may qualify to claim her as a dependent. You can't deduct the expenses, but you may get the extra dependent deduction. If you are single, this would allow you to file as Head of Household which would give you a better tax rate. Check IRS Publication 501 for details.How can I claim my expenses towards helping a parent pay there rent?
No you cannot claim this. It is not a business expense or anything else. If anything, if the amount exceeds $12,000 you are supposed to file a gift tax return, although there wouldn't be any tax due.
call the local irs office in your state and get the answer. You might need proof like receipts and then have to file the 1040 A form to itemize .
No. For tax purposes, you are just gifting her the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment