Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What is the custody process for godparents is one biological parent is still around?

I am 15 and recently lost my father who had custody of me for the past 8 years. My mother is alive and lives in another state. My father's will said that my godparents who I am currently living with will take custody should anything happen to him. That is where I want to be. Is that good enough, or will there have to be court for custody? Or does my mother have to terminate her rights? She has her new life now and doesn't care much for my company anyway. It was obvious at the funeral.What is the custody process for godparents is one biological parent is still around?
Your mother would have to agree to the custody arrangement. If her rights were never terminated she has a right to say whether or not you live with her. Unless she is deemed unfit by the court or something. If she is ok with the current arrangement, I see no reason she would have to terminate her rights (unless they want to legally adopt you).What is the custody process for godparents is one biological parent is still around?
Your mother would have to agree to it. What your father said in the will doesn't matter as long as she is still alive and has parental rights. He could not just take her rights away like that.
Your mother's permission will be needed in order for this to happen. Hopefully your father and the godparents already knew that.
if you and the god parents went to court you;d have a choice of where you want to live,


so contact a law guardian soon
It would still be up to your mother. If she is willing you could live with your godparents, that also depends on if they are willing to raise you.
Your mother would have to agree to it but legally I think your mother is your legal guardian until otherwise noted so good luck.
I think your mom would have to give up her rights. She's your birth mother so she still has a say. Despite the fac that it's in your dad's will...your mom can still request custody.

No comments:

Post a Comment