Thursday, May 13, 2010

As a single parent in Canada, is there a better way to calcuate my taxes?

I typically claim my son as a dependant, but I was told that I should file as ';head of household'; and treat him as a partner. Could someone clarify whether this is possible or allowed?


Thanks!As a single parent in Canada, is there a better way to calcuate my taxes?
You can claim him as an eligible Dependant which used to be called equivalent to spouse, It will give you more of a deduction and more of the benefits like cctb ect. Only one parent can claim this so in joint custody situations, it has to be worked outAs a single parent in Canada, is there a better way to calcuate my taxes?
I think the person who gave you that advice was american; that doesn't sound like Canadian tax rules. There is no such thing as ';head of household';
There is no such thing as ';head of the household'; in Canada. Your son is an equivalent to spouse for tax purposes, that is the best way to claim him in Canada.
yep, Kathy's right.
kathy r is correct

No comments:

Post a Comment