Sunday, May 9, 2010

How to get custody of a child if the parent lives in another state?

I have a nephew who has been living with me for about 2 years away from his mother, but has lived with me all his life along with his mother. I want to know if there is anyway for me to get custody of him with his mother's permission without her going to court in my state. If so how and where can I get the papers to do so. Thank You.How to get custody of a child if the parent lives in another state?
You will not be able to gain permanent custody without going to court. Having said that, many proceedings nowadays can be conducted telephonically or by video, particularly if they are not contested. In order to make sure it is done correctly you should hire a family lawyer to draw up the papers. If you or the mother do not want to go that route, a temporary solution would be to have her do a limited power of attorney giving you the right to make decisions for your nephew.

No comments:

Post a Comment