Thursday, January 21, 2010

What can I do to stop my parent from stealing my money from my custodial bank account?

My father is stealing my hard earned money i have saved up from working for a year for a car, what can I do?What can I do to stop my parent from stealing my money from my custodial bank account?
I don't see how you can stop him but you should stop depositing your money. Get someone else, mother, grandparent or someone to allow you to use their bank account or just buy savings bonds for you or keep the cash.





You would have to sue your dad and if you live with him that can make it miserable.What can I do to stop my parent from stealing my money from my custodial bank account?
Talk to your dad and find out why he is taking this. If he is unemployed, maybe he is using the money to keep a roof over both of your heads, in which case, you might need to let it go. Or, maybe he thinks you are doing something bad with the money.





If he doesn't give you an acceptable answers, you only have a couple fo choices. Sue him to get it back. Open up a savings account in only your name and put your deposits there instead. If he is not listed on that account, he can't withdraw anything.





If he is a custodian by court order, you could also go to family court and ask them to intervene and help.
All good suggestions above. But keep in mind that your Dad feeds you, clothes you, puts a roof over your head, pays for your schooling and does more things that I can mention. Does he charge you room and board? Does he make you pay for clothing and the like? Utilities? It sucks that he's taking money out of your account, but if you feel yo would be better off not living with your Dad, move out. Good luck.
Some banks offer a student savings account that does not require a custodian/guardian to sign on the account...the account would be in your name only. Call around to local banks in your area to see if they offer it.
~~Unfortunately nothing until you close this account. Do you have another trusted relative that would sign with you, and not touch your money? If so use them. Sorry you have to deal with this!~~
Find another adult you trust and open an account with them.





If you are 16, the bank may let you open your own account...ask several banks.





Don't tell your Dad about the new account.

No comments:

Post a Comment