Sunday, January 17, 2010

How would a parent feel if they found out their 14 year old daughter was a bad self-harmer?

How would they feel if they did this, and in the end it resulted in a suicide attempt?





This isn't me. A friend recently attempted suicide and I want to be able to help her and her mom, so it would help if I could get some understanding on their emotions. Thanks.How would a parent feel if they found out their 14 year old daughter was a bad self-harmer?
They'd feel very upset and sad, but in a way that they won't show, they'll feel disappointed that their daughter didn't say she was feeling this way, and mad that she's not happy with her life and wanted to leave them. Although they won't say it - they'll be sad, yet very angry with their daughter.How would a parent feel if they found out their 14 year old daughter was a bad self-harmer?
I have a friend who used to cut her arm a lot. It is done to mask the emotions they are experiencing, it is not something to be angry about. The reaction that the parent would have, and how they would feel about it, would be dependant on what they know about self-inflicted harm. It is very sad that a suicide attempt was made in order to draw attention to what was happening, and I hope that the parents do educate theirselves properly about how their daughter was feeling and what is causing all the emotional turmoil in her life. If the parents can work to resolve the issues underneath what is happening, then they can restore their daughter's relationship with them and restore her health.
It's a really difficult time in a persons life at 14. I remember being 14 and wanting to die, a lot of hormones and things get in the way of clear thinking. What she probably needs is someone to pay attention to her, constantly tell her that they love her and care for her and that they are there for her. She also probably needs to see a counselor/psychologist.
Oh nooooooo I know what it can feel like to self harm, i did it friday and I should tell my parents its difficult tho, i do it because i cant cope with things sometimes , but how and what makes ur friend get to point where she does this
I would be terrified for my child. And me more worried about their life and safety than being mad. And I would want to know why its happening.
I would feel I failed as a parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment